Ottawa, ON - Football Canada is cancelling national and regional summer flag and tackle football events due to issues associated with COVID-19.
Events that have been cancelled are:
- Flag Western Under 16 Regional, August 1st - 3rd, 2020 in Winnipeg, MB
- Flag Eastern Under 16 Regional, August 9 – 13th in Charlottetown, PEI
- Flag National Under 18 and Under 20 Championships, August 9 – 13th in Charlottetown, PEI
- The U16 Western Challenge, July 11-17 at Abbotsford, BC
- The U16 Eastern Challenge, July 13-18 at Sackville, NB
- And the U18 Canada Cup national championship, July 18-26 at UBC’s Thunderbird Stadium at Vancouver, BC.
The women’s national championship originally scheduled for July 30-Aug. 7 in Sherwood Park, Alberta has been postponed. Football Canada will continue to evaluate opportunities to reschedule in the fall or winter.
“The health and safety of our participants and their communities come first during the pandemic,” Football Canada president Jim Mullin said.
“This decision will allow our provincial members to focus squarely on how activities are activated in the fall,” Mullin said.
Football Canada is focused on the fall season and return to play as we continue to monitor the situation.
Host provinces for these events will be provided the first opportunity to host in the summer of 2021.
For Further Information:
For inquiries from members;
Shannon Donovan, Executive Director
For media inquiries;
Jim Mullin, President